Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/vhost/


Earnings Potential

According to the Handbook, the average annual salary of philosophy graduates with a bachelor's degree is $38,200, although the earnings potential for a philosopher are practically limitless because of the endless career fields that use and utilize philosophers,

Facts at a Glance

  • More than half, 52 percent, of philosophy undergraduate majors eventually go on for a higher degree
  • Most philosophy grads post high scores in both the quantitative and verbal side of the GRE scores.
  • Among those bachelor's degree holders who head straight into the work force, The College Majors Handbook, published by JIST Works, Inc., finds that just 36 percent accept jobs that are closely related to their field. The remaining 64 percent defect to higher-paying positions that are either somewhat related to their field of study, including administrative and managerial posts within religious or educational institutions, or not at all related.
  • About 30 percent work as members of the clergy and in other religious jobs in churches, synagogues, mosques and temples.  Another 30 percent work in the private, for-profit sector called executive, administrative and managerial. Some 5 percent work as writers, editors, broadcasters and public relations specialists.  And the rest are broken up among a range of unrelated occupations, including insurance, stocks and bonds, real estate, sales and business service occupations.

Summary of what this Degree Entails

A degree in Philosophy is extremely versatile and adaptable in today’s work world.  Four year degree programs in philosophy often entail courses in: Introduction to Philosophy, Introduction to Philosophy: Knowledge and Metaphysics, Philosophical Thinking,  Existentialism, Ideas in the Arts: Aesthetics, Truth and Meaning, Self and Society, Philosophy in Literature, Philosophy of Logic,  Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of Science, Political Philosophy: Analyzing Political Culture.

Examples and or Details of Work

  Again, the details of ones work can vary vastly due to the broad topics covered with a philosophy degree.  However, one should have gained or finely tuned skills in thinking outside of the box, puzzle solving, problem solving, communication skills,debating, critical thinking and reading, clarity of thought,analytical skills, and well organized thought patterns to name a few.

Specific Careers in this Fields

Quite often individuals who earn degrees in philosophy will become writers or some sort.  Whether that is writers of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, etc, there are limitless possibilities to which a philosopher can write about.  A career in law is certainly attainable.  Many established lawyers received their undergraduate degree in philosophy.  Philosophers can enter the field of teaching, social work, religious studies or clergy, and/or psychology if they wish to.  The career fields for a philosopher are endless due to the teachings of philosophy degree.  A philosophy degree teaches so many skills and qualities that one can virtually enter any career field if that individual has an aptitude for it.