Marketing Research Analysts
Median annual earnings of operations research analysts were $60,190 in May 2004. The middle 50 percent earned between $45,640 and $78,420. The lowest 10 percent had earnings of less than $36,180, while the highest 10 percent earned more than $95,990. The average annual salary for operations research analysts in the Federal Government in non-supervisory, supervisory, and managerial positions was $89,882 in 2005.
Facts at a glance
- Employers generally prefer applicants with at least a master’s degree in operations research or management science, or a closely related field such as computer science, engineering, business, mathematics, or information systems.
Summary of what this career entails
- Market research analysts study how the public will react to certain products. They study past statistics in order to be able to determine the potential sales a new product will generate. Market research analysts gather data from competitors, and provide the necessary information for deciding how to promote, distribute, design and price products or services.
- Market research analysts analyze public interest through telephone surveys, email surveys and mail surveys in order to assess consumer preferences.
- Market research analysts may conduct opinion research to determine public attitudes on various issues.
Examples and or details of work
In addition to other things, market research analysts focus on things like:
- Who will buy your product? Primary and secondary target groups.
- Where does the buyer live and what is their profile?
- What factors influence the decision to buy?
- Who is involved in the purchase decision?
- How often will buyers buy?
- Where do they buy, when and how much do they buy?
- What are the buyer's preferences and needs?
- Are customers loyal? Can long-term relationships be built?
Degrees that lead to this career
Typically, individuals interested in pursuing careers in Marketing Research find it complimentary to major in things like:
- Market and Social Research
- Business Economics
Specific Career openings in this field
Many different career openings exist for market research analysts. These may include:
- Market Research and competitive analysis.
- Junior or Senior Marketing Research manager
- Cross-Business Marketing Analyst
- Marketing Circulation Analyst