According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, salaries for computer and information systems managers vary depending on the area of specialty and level. The median salary for these managers is $92,570, while starting salaries for high-level managers is between $80,250 and $112,250 a year. Those with an undergraduate degree and/or one or less years of experience can earn an average of $52,300a year, while those with a master’s degree can earn an average of $56,909 a year.
Facts at a glance
- Employment in computer and information systems is expected to continue growing throughout the years to come.
- Managers who work in this field are advanced in computers or have worked in a computer profession before.
- Computer and information system managers work 40 hours a week but might work evenings, nights, and weekends to meet deadlines or solve problems.
- Computer and information system mangers are more susceptible to back pains, eyestrain, and carpal tunnel system.
Summary of what this career entails
Computer information system managers plan, direct, and/or coordinate activities for computer programmers, information systems, and electronic data processors. They also develop organizational goals, policies, and procedures, as well as manage operational budget and expenditures. Project managers work with the internal and external clients, vendors, and consultants. LAN/WAN manager’s direct network and its environment and administrating the local area network.
Examples and or details of work
Working in computer and information systems can be very rewarding because the financial compensation is great, especially for associates in management positions.
Degrees that lead to this career
The minimal degree you can obtain is an associate’s degree but most employers require a bachelor’s degree or a higher level. Some of the degrees you can obtain include:
- A.S. in Computer Information Science
- A.A.S. in Computer Information Systems-Programming
- B.S. in Computers Information Systems
- B.S. in Information Systems Security
- B.S. in Information Systems Management
- M.S. in Information Systems Management
- M.S. in Computer Information Systems
Specific Career openings in this field
There are many job opportunities in the field of computer and information systems, which you can attain a position with the proper degree or certification. Some of the positions that may be avaiable include computer and information system managers, software publishers, computer systems design and related services, management of companies and enterprises, insurrance carriers, depoistory credit intermediation, LAN/WAN managers, project managers or chief technology officers.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2006-07 Edition, Computer and Information Systems Managers, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos258.htm