According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average median salary for graphic designers varies depending on the area of specialization. Graphic designers that work for a newspaper, book, and/or directory publishers make an average of $32,390 a year. Those working in advertising make an average of $40,000 a year, while entry-level designers make an average of $32,000.
Those who freelance or work alone can make up to $65,000 a year, whereas the creative heads of design firms can make up to $90,000 a year.
Facts at a glance
- For most entry-level graphic designer’s positions, a bachelor’s degree is required but an associate’s degree is able to get you a technical position.
- Most graphic designers are freelancers and often have another salaried job in another profession.
- Graphic designers are expected to be the profession in design that will have the highest job opportunities in the future.
- Most employers expect the graphic designer to be familiar with computer animation, graphics, and science. They also would want the graphic designer to have artistic ability
Summary of what this career entails
Working in graphic design requires the person to be dedicated, hardworking and have the ability to multitask. Graphic designers design art and copy layouts for presentations for their clients. They usually have proficient knowledge of computers and computer software, which they may use to create new images for their clients. They also need to have great business and communication skills because they need to know how to communicate and sell their visual ideas to their clients. According to Wikipedia-The Free Encyclopedia, design elements such as shape, format, texture, line, value, and color compose the basic vocabulary for visual design. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_design
Examples and or details of work
Graphic designers come to a decision to choose the best way to present an idea on print, electronic, or film media. They may use many different techniques to get the message across such as illustrations, animation, color, and type. It is important for graphic designers to train their skills well because it is a competitive field. Most employers now require people to have a bachelor’s degree in art or design before they are considered for a position.
Degrees that lead to this career
Some of the degrees you can obtain include:
- A.S. in Graphic Design and Multimedia
- A.A. in Visual Communication
- A.S. in Graphic Design
- B.A. in Graphic Design
- B.S. in Graphic Design and Multimedia
- B.A. in Visual Communications
- M.F.A. in Graphic Design
Specific Career openings in this field
There are many job opportunities in the field of graph design; you can secure these jobs by having the proper level of education. Some of the jobs you can get into include graphic design, multimedia, or visual communication.