Earning potential in the classical studies field varies based on the specific career path. Most people involved in classical studies become professors and the starting salary for that is usually $50,000.
Facts at a glance:
- Someone with a degree in Classical Studies usually has learned reasoning and debating skills.
- They also have learned and developed skills in critical and analytical skills.
- There are many options for someone with a degree in Classical Studies in terms of what to do for a career.
- Career options include professor, journalist, lawyer, and editor.
- The Wake Forest University website said that studies show Classical Studies majors have had more success in the field of law than any other majors have. www.wfu.edu/classics/.
- The website also quotes a study from business recruiters that say that people who study the classics develop the intellectual, communication and analytical skills and the ability to handle complex information.
- Classical Studies also help students interested in working in museums.
Summary of what this career entails
If you are working in classical studies, you will be doing research no matter what your specific field is. Because of the many jobs in the classical studies field that it is hard to say what you would be researching. If you are a professor you would be researching and teaching students in classical studies, which has many genres within it (ex: Latin and Greek). If you are an archeologist, then you could possibly be looking for old Greek or Latin writings from the 1800’s.
Examples and or details of work
Classical Studies is in the midst of somewhat of a boom in the last year. The reason is that interest in the ancient world is up is because people are fascinated with a time that they know nothing about, because there are very little classes in Latin and Greek at least until you get into college. There are many new books out that talk about those times, including, Imperium, The First Emperor: The Triumph of Rome, The Fall of Rome and The Classical World. There is also a film documentary entitled Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire, which covers 600 years of Rome in 6 episodes. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2101-2305207,00.html. Another reason is that Latin is a very popular language and people want to know more about how it is used. In other words Classical Studies is a very prominent field right now and this is a good time to take advantage of it.
Degrees that lead to this career
Degrees that lead to a career in Classical Studies include, Classical Studies, Classics, Classical Civilization, and archaeology. Many people who major in Classical Studies decide to take another major like law, religious studies, English, or history.
Specific Career openings in this field
Specific career openings in the Classical Studies include, working in museums, heritage parks, teaching courses for government, media (you could even write books and produce documentaries), business, industry, and administration. You can also be an archeologist.